The Benefits Of Dental Flossing
All of us can have perfectly healthy teeth if we follow three rules of good dental hygiene diligently. These are brushing twice a day, flossing once daily and periodic six months visit to a dentist.
What Is Dental Flossing?
Good oral hygiene is paramount to have good and healthy teeth and flossing is an imperative part of it. The thin nylon or plastic ribbons that are inserted between the tooth to remove plaque or food particles in known as a dental floss and the process of using a floss to clean teeth after brushing them is known as dental flossing. Tooth flossing will ensure that you attain good dental hygiene by thoroughly cleansing your teeth.
History of Dental Floss
The present day dental floss, as we see it was invented by Levi S Parmly, a dentist based in New Orleans. It was he, in the year 1815 who advised people, to use silk threads to floss their teeth in order to have good oral hygiene. It was not available for people to use until in 1882, Codman & Shurtleft Co. started producing silken floss. It was later patented and the first patent was received by Johnson and Johnson. Nylon floss was later invented by Dr. Charles Bass around the time of the 2nd World War.
How to Floss The Right Way
The following are the steps to effective flossing
- Take around 18 inches of floss and winding it around the middle fingers of both hands, hold it taut between the thumbs and forefingers.
- Moving it back and forth, insert the length of floss between the teeth gently.
- When it touches the gum, curve it as the letter C, against the tooth you plan to floss.
- Sliding it between your gum and tooth, move the floss to clean the area encompassed within the twine.
- Following the shape of the tooth move the floss again to the point that is between the teeth. Move the floss gently up and down on the other side as well.
- Keeping the floss tight against the tooth, rub the side gently and move the floss in the direction away from the gum, all the while maintaining an up and down motion.
- Keep repeating this with all your teeth until you are done.
You must have adequate knowledge on how to floss in order to get effective results. Incorrect tooth flossing will not provide you with any advantages in the long run.
A little effort in practicing good oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing daily will go a long way in giving you good teeth
Tooth Flossing helps us take good care of our teeth. The three rules of maintaining dental hygiene is brushing, flossing and visits to your dentist on a regular basis. Different kinds of dental floss are available today. In case you are not sure about how to floss, consult your dentist today.